The workhouse in Ballyshannon is situated in the south of the town beside the Rock nursing unit. Designed by the architect George Wilkinson, the workhouse was built in 1841-42 and opened its doors in May 1843. From that date until its closure in March 1922 thousands of people from the surrounding areas availed of its strict charity.
The Ballyshannon workhouse is one of the few in Ireland that still retains all its constituent buildings. The photo above shows the workhouse's entrance building. In 2012 the Ballyshannon Regeneration group began a clear out of this with a view to assessing how the building could be renovated. As can be appreciated this is very much a work in progress.